It looks like I have a really nice bunch of kids in both classes!
Small class sizes too!! 17 and 18 kids. That is nice!
I am greatly impressed at how quiet and calm the classroom is
when these kids come in first thing! They go right to work without being
told! WOW!! They seem to follow directions, listen, share, and 95% can write their names with only the first letter being capitalized with the rest in lower case letters. But the important thing is...they know how to spell their name!!!
(I know this because I had to gather "data" to share at our weekly Wednesday morning late start PLC meeting! (For parents last year, starting one hour late on Wed was not their favorite idea!! New Superintendent, new ideas. Seems to be the latest educational fad...PLC. Professional Learning Community? I think. Or is it PLT---Professional Learning Team?)
Look at these 2 handsome dudes!!!
Little artists! This group LOVES to paint!
Well, we are off to a great start! I have a special ed student in the morning class.
He is Dev. Delayed. I am glad to have my friend Heather working as his IA.
Makes it fun!!! The fella looks like a linebacker. Big but has motor issues.
He is very sweet. Just takes time to write goals and lessons for him as lessons for the others need to be greatly modified for him. His goals are very specific. (he is like a 3 yr old.)
Alas. My colleague next door has 17 kids too. Unfortunately, her group has 4 behavior issues. Two are pretty severe. (one has been picked up by the police on several occasions because he wandered away from home. He also was caught using a permanent marker on a total stranger's car. His dad was picked up for meth. duh.) I remember what I went through last year. All of the time lost on the other kids because those behaviors took up most of my time.
AND SO, being a thoughtful, compassionate soul, I wrote our principal that I felt for Louise and volunteered to take one or two of these specific kids off of her hands. (OOPS. Shooting myself in the foot??)
The principal said nice things about me. (uh....sure. but my foot still hurts. I have got to quit thinking with my heart!!!!)
On Monday, another "linebacker" will be joining my quiet, sweet, polite afternoon class. They will be good role models... I hope. I meet the fella on Friday. He seems nice enough. But he is quick to hit and bully. Seems a tad slow, too. Slow in the thinking area. Will be a challenge. That's ok. Sometimes those are the ones I like to work with. Just as long as it's only the one not four or five behavior issue kids!!!
It will be a wonderful year no matter what!! 98% of these kids are funny, fun, sweet, and with it!!! I love it!!
And, now that we know what the calendar year will look like with the 14 cut days (7 are student contact days, 4 are inservice days, and 3 are holidays) ....even though that's a huge cut in pay....I do look forward to those days off.
a week a Thanksgiving, a 4-day weekend for Vet's day, 3 wks over Christmas!!! and more. Hmmmmm. Time to veg at home, go to the beach, visit folk up north, and hang with my favorite family in Sandy!!! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment