1972! goodness. I forgot about the fact that I gave the welcome speech to the entire audience of parents, families, and 170 peers sitting behind me! That was a grand moment for shy little me.
I had taken speech....done the debate thing with my bff. I am sure that those who know me now would not be surprised that I bombed at debate. NO...not like, I am the bomb. I actually sucked! lol. Ha! I recall how our beloved speech teacher/coach was worried that no one would hear me even with a microphone. She said that she would sit in the VERY upper right hand corner of the gym where the ceremony would be held. She would be waving her arms if I wasn't loud enough. Sure enough! That is where she was~but she didn't have to wave violently! Just a grinning face with a "you go, girl" wave! That was my biggest accomplishment/highlight of my high school career. (funny that i can recall that)

This is my brother-in-law, Matthew Burdett and one of my dearest friends
Kathy Warren Appleton. The other girl on the end is someone I really didn't know.

These 2 were in first grade with me and other classes through the years!
Great picture!

The folks at this table? Well , these are the people I have known forever in school.
The guy in the red plaid shirt....All 4 of his kids were in my kindergarten class at one time.
Jacque K. is in the dark jacket, 3 from the left. She works at Knight School in the Library.

I don't really know the 2 guys on the left.
But I DO know Darold in the striped shirt. He's rather a sweet
teddy bear! I love his sense of humor!
Funny memories of him. Again, he was in school since first grade.
When we were in the 4th grade, it was 1964. That is the year of the "big flood of '64."
Darold's family owned a dairy farm on the Molalla River. I remember that mid-morning,
Darold was called out of class to be taken to his family who had been helicoptered to safety as the river had really risen.
The second memory I have of him (and he of I) was from 1974. I had just finished my freshman year at OSU. My dad had this inkling to move to Palm Desert, CA to be part owner of a small airport there. We flew to Palm Springs. I think we were heading home...waiting in line at the ticket counter when I noticed a familiar face in a Marine uniform. It was Darold. We had a good talk. A nice surprise. Glad to know that he has moved up to Woodburn from Elko, NV.
I like him!!

And this was the whole bunch of us that actually came to the reunion.
I have only gone to one of these events! The 20th. Christine was born on the 10th.
Grandma passed away on the 30th. Mostly, I could have care less about attending always being a "wallflower" in school. But, THIS was very fun! People weren't snobbish. Those cute guys? Well, they are not so good looking NOW! Ha!
No comments:
Post a Comment